Twinks Gets Fit...

Friday, November 20, 2009

We've decided to go hybrid.

For diapering, that is. We both want the ease of disposable diapers, but with all the different cloth diapering options, including all-in-ones (AIO), and the fact that even with electricity used to wash them, the potential savings per child is upwards from $1000, it's hard not to at least give cloth diapers a try.


Our solution? We'll start with both. We can use disposables when we're going to be out and about and stick to cloth when we're at home. Then we can see about using cloth more frequently and if it'll work for us. If we end up using cloth diapers full-time, the savings could earn me the front load washer and dryers I would so love to have. Yeah, I'd say it's worth it to give them a whirl.

Cloth diapering has come a long way and after doing some research, we've picked AIOs as the best bet for us as something we'll like and that we can stick with. It's the most like disposables, except, of course, you wash them. I'll leave out the details of what I've read for the process, as I know talking or reading about dirty diapers isn't for everybody--I'll probably offer some reviews of products when we get a chance to use them though. 

The diapers I plan to order are Nubunz. They've gotten excellent reviews, are a great deal in comparison to some of the pricey AIOs, are made in the USA by a work-at-home-mom, and in my opinion, are really cute. I also like the fact that they're one-size. (The snap closures allow for an adjustable fit.) While researching other options, I started to get really overwhelmed by trying to figure out how many of each size we would need so the fact that these are one-size and can be used from 8-38 pounds made a big difference for me. I don't plan on ordering until at least January because they have a 60 day guarantee and it'd probably be best to wait until Kaelyn's closer to making her appearance so I can test them out.


I did, however, make a purchase of another Planet Wise wet bag (I previously bought a small one), as well as a diaper pail liner (which can be washed along w/ the cloth diapers). Wet bags are supposed to be great for soiled clothes, used cloth diapers, bathing suits, and the small bag is good for holding wipes...and keeping these things separated from the rest of the stuff in the diaper bag.










I also bought some Charlie's Soap, which came highly recommended to use both for regular laundry, as well as for baby clothes and diapers. It's eco-friendly, biodegradable, hypoallergenic and doesn't use any chemicals. It's supposed to be really good for people with sensitive skin. (ME!!) It's also supposed to be way cheaper than regular detergents. I thought we'd give it a try and see how we like it. I'm going to use it for our regular laundry and I'll report back on how we like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment