Twinks Gets Fit...

Monday, December 7, 2009

I'm thankful today too. Jenny's home!

Today I am thankful for:
-finding Jenny's owners. 
-having about a dozen people who wanted to take her as backup. It was a little discouraging this morning, but quickly things started to look more promising this afternoon. By tonight, people are practically begging to take her and there has been an outpouring of helpful people. It makes me feel so much better to know there are good people in this world who are willing and able to help out these pups. 
-as sweet as Jenny is, I'm thankful to have things back to normal. It threw things off a lot to have her here because we didn't want to displace our 3 dogs and everything was uncertain last night. We really can't have another dog, but we refused to take her to Animal Control. If you've never been there, it's a very sad, hopeless place, but there are so many good dogs there needing homes.
-rescue groups and shelters and other people who were unbelievably helpful today. I had started to get discouraged when emails came back from groups who flat out said she needed to go to County. Those who went out of their way to help (Jenny's cute photos helped) fortunately outnumbered the others. 
-my in-laws who let her stay at their house today to see if any of the company's workers would be interested in giving her a home and also so we could get her scanned for a microchip at the vet after work.
-the Hubs. I love that he loves animals and it was a tricky situation for him because he wanted to help Jenny, but was worried about his pregnant wife and 3 other dogs since we didn't know her history or if she was vaccinated. He's also sensitive to the fact that I'm really sensitive about animals...and he really was working hard to find a rescue group that could foster her or find her a permanent home.
-all our pups, but in particular, Budaj. I'm so thankful we didn't give up on him when things started off rocky at the beginning. He has such a personality and adds so much to our house and little family. Also, Gracie has never been happier. She has her best friend and we find it endlessly fascinating how much they love each other. Having Budaj around has made a world of difference for her. 

Phew. I feel so much better than I did last night. I do have to say how much I support people adopting dogs from shelters. While I was posting an ad in our company classifieds, I noticed how many puppies ads there were for both mixes and purebreds. "Just in time for Christmas! Only $500." It made me sad...and a little angry that there are so many litters of puppies being bred for profit when there are soo many dogs sitting in shelters needing homes. Forgive me for turning into Bob Barker temporarily, but seriously, spay or neuter your pets. We're not planning to get any other dogs for a long time, but I always want to get a shelter dog. There are some wonderful dogs just waiting for a home and as I've mentioned, they know you rescued them. There's just something different with Budaj where he's just so grateful for everything. 

Alrighty, stepping off the soapbox to watch the 3rd period of the hockey game, where Budaj's namesake is in net...and doing quite well I might add :)

No comments:

Post a Comment