Twinks Gets Fit...

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

"Mr. Hillard, do you find yourself humorous?"

"No. There was a time when I found myself funny, but today you have proven me wrong. Thank you."

Mrs. Doubtfire is being added to my hospital bag list. Seriously, I can just imagine being mid-contraction hearing "It was a run-by fruiting!" and cracking up.

Bringing some DVDs was actually recommended to us both during our hospital tour and by our lamaze instructor. I've been trying to come up with good movies to bring along. Movies I've seen a lot that are funny and/or are movies that are comforting when I'm sick. Mrs. Doubtfire is just the perfect Robin Williams performance in my mind. I'd bring his stand-up routine, Live on Broadway, but it's far less family-friendly. (It also wasn't a great idea to watch after just having all four impacted wisdom teeth removed. I had to turn to something that didn't make my cheeks hurt so much.)

Joining Mr. Williams in the hospital bag will likely be Ellen Degeneres as Dory in Finding Nemo, Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally, Captain Jack Sparrow (that would be the Pirates series to those living under a rock), and a couple others. I'm going to peruse the huge cases of DVDs collected by the Hubs and remind myself what else we have. Several of my all-time favorites I unfortunately only have on VHS at the moment, but I'll see what else I can come up with.

Now, I think I have our hospital bag pack list pretty well set. Some things are already packed. I definitely want a few comfort items, but otherwise I'm more minimalist minded. That said, I wonder how anyone can go in without looking like they're moving in. The Boppy, which we've been told multiple times is a must-bring, alone would take up a substantial amount of the bag. As a result (and not wanting to look as though I have the luggage entourage of the Queen of England), I think I'll opt to use our rolling suitcase with expandable zippers. My friend Carrie advised us to take as much from the hospital as we can get can get so I figure we'll have plenty of room to stuff in all the soothies, diapers, and other freebies they give us.
It's still a little surreal. I remember visiting Hunter and Ashley in the hospital the day after our niece Morgan was born and Hunter sounded so goofy (and sleep-deprived) asking the nurse if she was really letting them leave with Morgan. I can't remember his exact words. It was mixed in with his tales of "his labor." Anyways, I guess it's sort of that way. I mean, it's so surreal to go into the hospital after carrying around this little person for 9 months (it's actually 10 total, but who's counting?) and when you leave, you have an outside baby. They're real. Right now, I'm definitely aware of her with her kicks and flips, but she's in her own little world in there. There's not the same type of interaction. She seems more protected in my tummy. When we leave the hospital, she's there for us to see 24/7. We'll get to see all her activity. We'll get to hold her.
It's just...I don't know...what's an accurate word for it?
Anyways, I think I might toss some more stuff in the hospital bag tonight on my way to change into jammies and on my way back to veg on the couch to watch some hockey. If you have any movie ideas or ideas for iPod playlists (besides the standard Enya-esque stuff), let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment