Twinks Gets Fit...

Friday, January 29, 2010

My "comfort" movies.

So everyone has their idea of comfort food. For me, it involves a whole lot of carbs...or beige on my plate. For example, my ultimate Cracker Barrel meal (if I'm not opting for breakfast) involves chicken fried chicken w/ white country gravy, a double order of hashbrown casserole, and mashed potatoes (of course also w/ white country gravy). (If I feel enough guilt to add an actual vegetable on my plate, I'll get green beans or carrots instead of the second order of hashbrown casserole, but I regret it if they give me a cheap portion of casserole.) It's enough to have me grumbling like a bear shot in the butt with a tranquilizer dart, but I'll go into my food-induced coma with a happy little smile on my face. Why must the best food in the world be horrible for you?

Anyways, in thinking about my hospital bag, I've mentioned the recommendation to bring movies to have on in the background while I'm in labor. Well, I have my list of "comfort" movies.

In no particular order:

Finding Nemo--"That's a big butt." It's cute, it's light, it has Ellen DeGeneres being all sorts of funny. Plus being based in the ocean sends a cool wave over me. I love the ocean, love scuba diving, love all of it...not to mention that this is one of the best Disney movies of all time.

When Harry Met Sally--It's a classic romantic comedy. It's witty. I grew up loving the sarcasm of Billy Crystal. It's in the bag.

Pirates of the Caribbean--Two words: Jack Sparrow. One of the best character performances of an actor ever. I've seen the three movies enough that I know the dialogue so it doesn't matter if I miss any of it while wandering the halls.

Mrs. Doubtfire--Yes, the furriest actor in Hollywood is being invited into my hospital room with my favorite comedic performance of his. It's funny, it has heart, and it features both a scene of Robin Williams lighting his boobs on fire and chucking an orange at Pierce Brosnan's head.

Where the Heart Is--I don't know why, but this movie tends to be one of my go-to movies when I'm sick.

Only You--I admit it, I have a soft spot for Robert Downey, Jr. I just think he's adorable. The pairing of him with Marisa Tomei was great in this movie too. Plus there's Bonnie Hunt to add in her humor as the best friend type. The setting of Italy is a nice escape too.

Return to Me--Speaking of Italy...and Bonnie Hunt, this is such a sweet movie that manages to be happy and sad at the same time. I love the relationship with the animals in the movie too--the American Bulldog Mel (Actually named Petey in real life) is the reason I started looking into the breed and how I ended up with Gracie. (It was really a coincidence that she ended up being named Gracie, which is the name of Minnie Driver's character in the movie.) If you haven't seen the movie, it's really well-done.

So no big Oscar-contenders on my list, but they're movies that I can cozy up with or still laugh along with even after watching them a few dozen times. Also, if you're looking for a good movie, these are some of my favs.

No comments:

Post a Comment