Twinks Gets Fit...

Monday, February 15, 2010

500 Days of Summer

It's been awhile since I've done a movie review!

Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel

I wasn't really sure what to expect out of this Indy. It's been hit or miss lately, mainly miss. My reaction? I liked it, I really really liked it. It was offbeat, funny, honest, a little sad, a little hopeful.

I haven't seen Joseph Gordon-Levitt in much besides 10 Things I Hate About You and Third Rock from the Sun. I would say he's in transition from having that boyish look to being able to pull off more dramatic roles. This one helped. A lot. He was a great protagonist and I use that particular word because he reminds me of the type of stories and books I heard a lot about in my writing workshops. He reminds me a bit of a Holden Caulfield type character, not so much in the subject matter, but because the movie let you into his mind. There's a narrator throughout that makes the story third person really, but it's from his character's perspective.

As the narrator tells us at the beginning, this is not a love story. It's story about love. Personally, I would call it a human emotion story and it's completely relatable.

Zooey Deschanel is great as her quirky self and if I'm not mistaken, she got a big boost for her singing career on the soundtrack. The role seemed to come naturally to her and she's very likeable.

I also liked how the director pieced the movie together. It was clever and not jarring in the least even though the scenes didn't come in chronological order. It added to the cleverness. The writing was also very well done. All around an enjoyable movie to watch. Under-rated I would say, or at least, under-publicized. It's one of those little gem of a movies that you have to stumble upon.

Rating: A

It's not one I'd watch all the time, but I'd watch it a few more times and enjoy it just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment