Twinks Gets Fit...

Monday, June 21, 2010

I threw a hissy fit when I got on the scale this morning. For realz.

The Hubs witnessed the melodrama. The Hubs also gave me permission to use my weigh-in from Sunday for McFatty Monday since it had been consistent for a couple of days and I splurged last night on pizza so my body is likely desperately clinging to the nutritional content of that Italian goodness. I know I splurged, but I didn't consume 8500 calories in one sitting so the 2 1/2 pound weight difference is likely temporary.

So, according to my Saturday and Sunday weigh-ins, I've lost the weight I gained back in week 2 plus a little extra. Over 5 pounds total. Again, back to 68 to go. It's a little staggering.

Something I did well this week? I wrote everything I ate down.

Something I didn't do so well this week? I went over my points allowance on a few days and my flex points ended up in the negative. Because I wrote everything down, I know this. What this shows me is how easy it is to underestimate how much I'm actually consuming. When I write it all down, I can recognize when I'm eating too much, not enough, and start to pick up on what types of food are good point values. I'm getting pretty good about being able to estimate the number of points in a meal or snack.

I still don't have an exercise routine figured out. I'm taking the stairs and I have quite a hike out to the car, but informal exercise here and there is about all I get a chance to do. I think this is also due to the fact that when I'm home with Little, I just want to spend time with her, even if it's just to hold her while she's passed out on my chest. I simply don't want to put the kid down--then again, can you blame me?

Another challenge is social eating and special occasion eating. I find when we eat at a restaurant, I go for taste rather than what's kinder to my waistline. I don't want to seem like a fuddy-duddy to order something "healthy." I also don't want to sit there eyeing the juicy cheeseburger on my neighbor's plate like how the dogs will stare at human food and have drool hanging from their gums, their eyes wide and desperate.

Mmm, cheeseburger...

Refocus. I slipped up with soda intake last week, though I only had one can probably 3 days. I need to up the water intake. I'm trying to think of all the little things I can do that will make a big difference in the long run. I think I practically need to have ice water (because I take my ice very seriously) in constant reach so that I remember to gulp it down throughout the day.

This isn't an excuse, but I do think summertime here is much more difficult for weight loss because it's just too darn hot outside. I want to get outside and walk, but when it's hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk, it's too hot for me and it's much too hot for Little. Most of the shopping places are outdoors here and it's just a pain in the keester to get over to the mall multiple days a week to get my walk on. I could join a gym, but seeing as I don't seem to have the time to get up off the couch and workout with Jillian for 20 minutes, I seriously doubt I'm going to drag myself out of the house, drive 10 minutes, and go work out at a gym. I'll again stress to myself that I can find the time to do something for 15-20 minutes. My hope, though, is that daily exercise will come a whole lot easier when it cools down and I can simply put Little in her jogging stroller and we can go for a brisk stroll. We'll also be frequent visitors at the zoo, thanks to a generous gift of a membership from one of the Hubs's coworkers.

I think the accountability is a good thing and I know if I stick with the program, I'll see results because it's simple math, but like everyone else, I want to see the results now. I just have to get it through my head that my actions ultimately cause the number on the scale so if I have a hissy fit after seeing that number, there's no one to blame but myself. How irritating is that?

Goal for this week is to drink as much water as I can stand. I also want to be conscientious about what I'm eating and why. Am I hungry? Does it really sound good to me? Am I bored, stressed, etc.? So in addition to jotting down what I eat, I'm going to keep a rating scale of hunger and maybe a word to describe my emotion at that moment. Same for if I manage to get in some working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment