Twinks Gets Fit...

Friday, June 4, 2010

New starting point and goals

It comes as no surprise that losing weight is a bit--er--overwhelming. Now that we have Little, it's hard to imagine what I was doing with all my free time before when I justified that I didn't have time to workout. Now, it's that I want to spend time with her and the Hubs. Everything else, including cooking and working out, takes a back burner. I think the key for me is to integrate spending time with them with working out.

Now that I've had Little and she didn't weigh 50-60 lbs, which would have been all too convenient for losing the pregnancy weight, I need to set new goals. Let me just say: it's definitely not a good thing to do to compare yourself to anyone else. Everyone's different. For example, my beautiful and wonderful sisters-in-law (see Skinny-Mini's) dropped the weight before checking out of the hospital after delivering their babies. Since I couldn't fit a leg into their jeans without some far-fetched magical phenomenon akin to Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, it's really not a fair comparison for myself. Oh and that whole "breastfeeding helped me lose all the pregnancy weight and then some" concept isn't quite as effective when low supply and latch problems prevent nursing from being a possibility.

So here I am after a 9 month love affair with potatoes, cheeseburgers and nacho cheese (because the fact that the "eating for two" idea is bogus and 300 extra calories is all women are offered, but everyone justifies "It's for the baby!") and I have a beautiful little girl and a whole lot of weight to lose to show for it. I miss my pregnant belly. (Last photographed pregnant belly pictured left at 38ish weeks) I loved wearing tight-fitting shirts to show it off. Now it's not quite so cute and people don't try to touch it...or talk to it. Actually I wasn't a huge fan of either, but oh well. I am cursed with a muffin top, a jiggly stretch marked tummy, and, shall we say, "thick" thighs and, forgive me for the mental image, but a butt like I consumed milkshakes for the entire 9 months. Which is entirely false. I was on a milkshake kick for approximately 2 months prior to the pre-eclampsia scare. So there. Then again, there were the burgers...and the cheese...and the fries. Mmmm...Okay, so really I did this to myself. Time to pay for my fatty food transgressions...

(Oh and I truly don't mind the stretch marks. I think I earned them...which sounds weird, but they're like my battle scars. I don't wear bikinis or Saved By The Bell style cropped shirts so I couldn't really care less.)

New goals:
1-Kickstart my self esteem (lose 14 pounds)
2-Pre-pregnancy weight (lose 9 more pounds)
3-Wedding weight (lose 15 more pounds)
4-Psychological happy dance (lose 6 more pounds)
5-BMI number I like (lose 17 more pounds)
6-Psychological Touchdown, including celebratory dance and spiking of...well, I'll have to find something to spike (lose 12 more pounds)

Total weight loss: 73 pounds

73. Wow. It is almost out of my comprehension to think that I have that much to lose. But I do. So I will.

Strategy? I haz it.

  • I shall use the Weight Watchers points system, but I will not be signing up for the online deal or go to meetings. I'm far too cheap frugal for it. Plus I'd rather spend the money on a ball pit or something for Kaelyn. Or if I have to get something for myself, a new wardrobe that actually fits would be marvelous. I calculated my points allowance and I even got a bonus for breastfeeding. (I only took half since we're doing half breastmilk/half formula basically.) Then I looked at my food log that I started yesterday. Um, yeah. I went over by 15 points yesterday without even really splurging. Certain types of food just add up a lot faster. So bitter over sacrificing so many flex points (WW allows 35 per week), I decided to use that as a starting point and eat better from here on out. Don't get me wrong, I very well may use my points in irresponsible ways. For example, I will not give up my homemade frappes. I love them and though they occasionally leave me jittery, they get me going in the morning. I can, however, decrease the amount of sugar and chocolate and save a point or two. I might also work the system and eat some really yummy (see fattening) foods, but I'll have to compensate otherwise. The WW plan seems doable and once I have my frequently eaten foods list, I'll probably have the points memorized. I already know a slice of bread is 2, can of soda is 3, cheese is 2, and so on.
  • I don't take the elevator at work. Ever.Okay, so I do take the elevator if my hands are full or if I'm on my way to pump since I have to call Security to let me into the lactation room and I don't like huffing and puffing into the phone for fear they'll think I'm a prank caller. Anyways, I didn't really care for the fact that my first day back, I climbed 3 floors and thought I would keel over. That's not good, people. I'm doing a lot of stairclimbing these days--3 up, 3 up, 3 down, 2 up, 2 down, 3 down, 5 up, 2 down, 3 up, 3 down, 3 down...
  • Healthify my snack options. I'm not a big snacker, but that might not be good either. So I shall have good options available--like frozen OJ popsicles, apple sauce, broccoli and cheese...yes, I love me some broccoli and cheese. Seriously, ask my husband.
  • Watch the carbs. I'm not talking about going totally Atkins. I loves my potatoes after all, but try for more fruits and veggies instead.
  • Be Little's animated entertainment. I love dancing with her so why not sneak in exercise this way?
  • Little likes her first bottle at 6am so on the weekends since it's so hot during the day, I'll take her for a walk. Then promptly take a shower and then a nap with her. Because Mommy needs her sleep.
  • Water, water, water. Drinking more water makes me feel good anyways so why not drink it? It's just a matter of remembering to.
  • Working out the working out. I don't really have a set plan for working out besides trying to do it more. I have a few options between the 30 Day Shred, Winsor Pilates, and throwing out my arm playing Wii games. I think once we're in more of a routine as far as bedtime schedule for Little, this might come more naturally. I just know I need to do it.
Okay, so I have a ways to go, but I started writing this blog on Wednesday. It's now Friday and I've lost just over 2 lbs. Not too shabby. It's water weight, of course, but I'll take a lower number on the scale almost any way I can get it. 71 pounds to go...

Oh and if you'd like to lose weight with me or be a part of the McFatty Monday phenomenon (courtesy of http://theheirtoblair.com/), leave me a comment every week and let me know how you're doing, any tips you'd like to share, etc.) I definitely think it's more effective to have support during weight loss. It helps to be more accountable and have people to chat with who also struggle with weight loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment