Twinks Gets Fit...

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

8 month letter (a week late)

You make me dance like a fool, forget how to breathe
Shine like gold, buzz like a bee
...
Don't know how I lived without you
'Cause every time that I get around you
I see the best of me inside your eyes
You make me smile


Oh sweet Little,

I am not going to talk about the fact that you're growing up so fast and that you're now two-thirds of a year old. The simple fact that I'm referring to your age in fractions is proof enough that your momma is an adorable newborn photo of you away from bursting into tears. It's not really sad tears either. It's just that I love this stage of yours. Not that I didn't love you as a newborn or any of the stages before. I love them all. It's like I want to keep all the different versions of you all at once. Don't get me wrong, I'm so excited to see your big personality continue to develop--to see you learn how to stand and walk, which will inevitably lead to running [circles around your momma], a sparkle of mischief in your eyes and a huge smile plastered on your face, and the way you're going, wearing a harness like your daddy when he was little (because seriously Kiddo, if you're conscious, you don't sit still), not to mention talking, your words no doubt filled conviction and attitude.

What I'm trying to say in a very long, run-on sentence is this: You are such an awesome, brilliant, spunky, energetic, beautiful little girl.

Oh yes--and your momma is a proud, blubbering basketcase.

Can we talk for a second about your smile? There is so much joy in your eyes. Unbridled and sincere. Hold on tight to that, baby. I know you'll face challenges in different aspects of life (that's what makes you even stronger as a person), but Little, let yourself be happy and joyful. Don't let the challenges rob you of your happiness. There are things that are important that aren't too fun to deal with in life--like teething, for one thing, and in those cases, it's okay to cry, it's okay to be upset, but don't stress out over the other stuff that doesn't really matter in the long-run. Being positive and having that joy that lights up your face goes a long way.

Oh and big news! You're crawling. You mastered crawling forward (as opposed to the funny crawling backwards thing you had been doing before) and now there's no stopping you. You're crawling over to the dogs on their beds, toward the kitchen when someone's cooking when they should be giving you their full attention...it's endlessly entertaining. You were so proud of yourself when you finally got that left foot to cooperate and not stay tucked underneath of you. You're also figuring out how to pull yourself up on things. Now, I've mentioned before how you are a michievious little girl and it's even more so now that you're mobile. You know when you're testing your boundaries and trying to see how much you can get away with--you reserve a special smile for those moments and sometimes there's a giggle attached to it.

Let's see--you're also into bubbles, or rather the container and wand that make the bubbles. You also discovered your twin. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention her and do you not recall having to share real estate with a sibling in the womb? Well, she lives in the wall and she has the exact same toys as you. You love her. It's the most hilarious and endearing thing--you know, besides all the other hilarious and endearing things you do. Every day there's something or some things to add to the list. You also love spinning toys, like your alphabet zoo that reminds me of the wheel on the Price is Right. You've also mastered demolition. We build--or start building--and you knock it down. You're picking things up so fast, it's incredible.

Oh and one my favorite things you've started doing? Hugging. Oh my goodness, does it melt my heart. You'll stretch your hands out for me to pick you up, then you hug me so tight around my neck and don't even try to grab my hair. I can tell you're thinking about pulling it, but then you reconsider, pull back your hand and snuggle in close. Love. I don't know how you do it, but with just a hug and snuggle from you, anything that maybe had been stressing me out vanishes from my mind and there's just you and me.

Christmas is coming up soon and I've been thinking about what might await you under the Christmas tree. It's no secret and no surprise that we'll happily spoil you, but I think there's a negative association with the word "spoil." We also want to teach you to share and to give to others. This is a very important element and value we want to instill in you. There are so many less fortunate people, including kiddos, who hardly have anything at all. We are so blessed to have each other and to have all that we do. I hope to teach you to be thankful for everything you have and that you know that even without a single toy at all, you are still you: An amazing, vibrant person who has such a tremendous value in the world and in our lives. There are always going to be others who have more than you and there are always going to be others who have less than you. Help those who happen to have less and be happy with who you are and appreciate what you have.

That said, we want you to enjoy the heck out of your childhood and my thinking is this: I brought you into this world. I already love you with all my heart (and then some), as I should. Another responsibility and obligation (and I use those words in the most positive way because I don't consider it a burden in the least) is to provide the best for you.
Oh and in a couple weeks, we're going on our first family vacation. Little, I'm so excited to have a week straight to relax with you and Daddy, I almost can't stand it.

I love you, Little. You are my Most Thankful Thing.

Love,
Momma
Lyrics taken from "Smile" by Uncle Kracker

No comments:

Post a Comment