Twinks Gets Fit...

Thursday, May 19, 2011

An evil extreme of HCDs...

I recently learned of "high-calorie day," a strategy used in weight loss to keep the body guessing on your daily intake so it doesn't get used to the same calories day in and day out and ultimately stall weight loss. Even Biggest Loser contestants are allowed a HCD. Jillian even supports it. In an article she talked about how women on the ranch typically get 1200-1400 calories on a normal day. On HCDs, they get about 1800-2000. Others using the concept will go as high as 2500.

Um, yeah. This morning I unexpectedly decided to splurge. I should have skipped it, as I hadn't looked up the calories and points beforehand. I needed to fill up the gas tank and there was a McDonald's attached to the gas station. I should have known better. I saw Supersize Me, after all. This isn't health food.

But I didn't and I got probably 2 of the worst things I could get.

Medium Mocha Frappe
Sausage, Egg & Cheese McGriddle (you know, the kind of nasty breakfast sandwich stacked between two maple syrup pancakes?)

Grand total for points?

30. Three zero. Thirty.

For those who don't speak "PointsPlus," that's 1120 flippin' calories.

And do you want to know something? I feel disgusting. My stomach hurts, my head hurts, I feel sluggish and just...BLEH. I might be sick.

Not worth it--and I totally and completely screwed myself for points today. Eating nothing the rest of the day isn't an option so I'm definitely going to use up any activity points I earn and a chunk of my weekly allowance.

HCD is right. It wasn't the right kind of HCD either and I don't feel like I even enjoyed a temptation I don't typically get. I feel like I've been hit by a dump truck and I hate myself for it.

For the same points, I could have eaten good, healthy food all day and felt a heck of a lot better.

Lesson learned. Maybe I needed a reminder why I can't and shouldn't eat crappy food? What a waste.

I keep thinking of cutey patootey Peyton from The Game Plan: "My mom says Fanny's Burgers makes kids fat and gives them gas!"

What a wise little girl.

Okay so if I only look at calories and aiming for 1800-2000 for today as a HCD then I have between 680-880 left. I can handle that. I'll just finish out the week strong and get in my cardio. Of course, McDonald's doesn't exactly efficiently fuel the body for a good cardio session. I certainly don't feel like climbing the stairs, but I'm going to. Twice today. And walk/C25K for an hour at lunch. And do at least a 10K on the bike tonight. Ugh, this is gonna hurt.

Moral of the story? Even on high-calorie days, eat quality food.

You are what you eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment