Twinks Gets Fit...

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thankful...Day 10

I am thankful for...

the thoughtfulness of others.

the little things I have that I routinely take for granted.

It's easy to get caught up in feeling bitter about how some people who use and abuse others get ahead, how people who don't do their job correctly nor do they care to never get fired, yet they make far more than those who do their jobs correctly and do 10 times more work. Sometimes the world seems completely upside down and backwards.

I had a whole discussion with my bestest friend Sherry when we visited her a couple months back that if you really try, you can nitpick at least one way everyone in the world has it better than you. Either they have a lot of money and drive a fancy car or they don't have to work or they can eat all they want and not gain a pound...whatever the case may be, it just seems like they have it easier. It ends up being a general statement of the little green monster saying that their whole life is easier than yours and not just that one little part. Well what good does focusing on someone else's life do? Nothing. It's just a surefire way to make you feel jaded with the world. I know, I've done it.

The truth is, if you nitpick their lives further, you'll more than likely find at least one area where your life is easier than theirs. They might have your dream job, but no relationship with their parents. They might seem like they have it so easy and get things handed to them, but they might have a horrible marriage.

I guess it's why they say to be thankful for what you have.

I also think it's easy to get into the day-to-day routine and take certain things for granted. For example, it's easy for me to overlook the fact that Brady makes my lunch every morning and will track down my work shoes so they're laid out and waiting for me when I'm throwing myself together on the way out the door. That's just a couple of very simple things he does, but when you add that to all the thousands of little things he does and then the bigger things, it dawns on me: I have an incredibly sensitive and thoughtful husband. On a daily basis though, this doesn't always occur to me how lucky I am.

And this is true of so many people and things in my life. I'll admit it. I think it's just a natural thing that happens when you feel comfortable in a situation. You get used to it. You take it for granted.

So today I'm thankful for all the people and things in my life I take for granted without realizing it--that I would be lost without.

No comments:

Post a Comment